Assistant Pastor or Director of Discipleship
Job type: Full-time
Category: Children's Ministry
Location: Covington, TN Post Date: March 28, 2017
We are seeking an Assistant Pastor of Discipleship or a non-ordained Director of Student Ministries to lead our congregation in fulfilling the vows we have made to our covenant children at their baptism by leading us in our ministry to children and youth. The position will determined by eligibility for ordination. In addition to sharing in other duties, the Assistant Pastor of Discipleship, under the supervision of the Senior Pastor, will direct our children's and youth ministries in a family based/ intergenerational model of minstry. If ordained, we expect 75% of the time to be devoted to children's and youth ministry and the remaining 25% given to sharing other pastoral work included preaching, serving the Lord's Supper, visitation, and counseling. If not ordained the other time would be given to assisting with other discipleship areas. Qualified candidates should have a passion for serving children and youth, and preferably have 3-5 years experience.
DescriptionThe following is our description for an Assistant Pastor. If someone is not eligible for ordination some of the duties will not apply.
- Direct Youth program: lead weekly meetings, recruit and lead volunteers, regular outings, mission trips, camp (plan on developing and directing other teachers and sharing Wed PM teaching with Senior Pastor), lead youth council.
- Coordinate Children's ministry: recruit, train, organize volunteers for K-5, assist children's council
- Direct the 4th day program: plan worship, recruit and train teachers etc. for catechism classes
- Teach and assist teaching as needed for adult Sunday School, New Member, 4th day, officer training, etc.
- Preach approximately every 6 weeks in the Senior Pastor's absence
- Assist in leading Sunday morning worship
- Share in serving the Lord's Supper
- Share in regular visitation.Serve as a resource person for Discipleship Committee and Sunday School superintendent
Covington is a wonderful town. As the county seat of Tipton County, it is small and rural with a population of around 10,000 people, but close enough to Memphis (40 miles) to enjoy the big city amenities. Covington is made up of a diverse population creating a very welcoming atmosphere for all walks of life. Tipton County schools are some of the best in the state. Covington High is a 3-time winner of the Tennessee SCORE prize. Covington is also home to the Unilever ice cream plant, which will be the largest ice cream plant in the country when all phases of construction are complete.
Learn more about our church here: http://1pc-covington.org/welcome/about-us/
How to apply
send a resume and/ or Evangelical Presbyterian Church Personal Information form (https://epc.org/file/main-menu/resources/download-epc-forms/Personal-Information-Form-2015-PDF-fillable-form.pdf) to firstname.lastname@example.org