Associate Editor, Features
Job type: Full-time
Location: Carol Stream, IL Post Date: September 07, 2017
Christianity Today is hiring a full-time associate editor to assign and edit formative and informative feature essays. While other associate editor jobs at CT emphasize key coverage areas (like theology and books), this position requires an insatiable, informed curiosity and a diverse arsenal of storytelling skills. This associate editor will be working with scholars to make research a pleasure to read, with professional writers to make longform narrative nonfiction compelling, and with sources to find the big ideas the church will soon be exploring.
We're looking for an experienced editor who passionately believes that the gospel of Jesus Christ is a transforming and vital force and that God's primary way of working in the world is through the church. We want someone who reads books and loves what magazine-style journalism can do. Someone likely to quote both Scripture and the Longform podcast in the same pitch meeting. Someone who deeply loves words and the Word.
This is a key position in CT's efforts to offer constructive guidance and accurate reporting on the church and culture. It will involve working on both long articles and shorter pieces. While the job involves some writing, it is not a staff writer position; the ideal candidate will be more excited about helping others communicate well than in making sure their own byline and perspective get attention. It's a great position for someone who loves discovering great ideas brilliantly communicated, and sharing those ideas with the world.
- At least three to five years of experience working as an editor, ideally in a setting that required speed, accuracy, and depth.
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of the Bible, the church, and the evangelical movement.
- Excellent proofreading and editorial skills.
- Formal education in journalism and theology preferred. Demonstrated commitment to lifelong learning (whether formally or informally) required.
- An appreciation for the history, mission, and values of Christianity Today.
Functions and Responsibilities:
- File several publication-ready articles each week.
- Participate in relevant staff meetings.
- Attending conferences and meetings with sources, writers, and trainers.
- Collaborating with the CT staff and sharing areas of expertise.
- Developing a broad team of contacts and freelance writers.
Success Factors/Job Competencies:
- Meeting output goals; filing articles that are formative, informative, and free from errors.
How to apply
To apply, email a saved, signed copy of the application, along with a cover letter, résumé, and two or three work samples to email@example.com.
Eager candidates should also include two or three story ideas for CT essays you'd like to pursue in this position, including a possible headline and a paragraph describing the likely angle. (Please note that we're only using these for hiring purposes, but we may have similar ideas in our editorial pipeline!)