Job type: Full-time
Location: Gaithersburg, MD Post Date: June 16, 2017
The Communications Specialist plays a primary role in developing and implementing communication strategies to advance the vision and mission of Covenant Life Church. Duties include gathering, organizing, writing, editing, designing and managing content to engage internal and external audiences via digital and traditional media channels. The position collaborates closely with the Sunday Core Team, Lead and Executive Pastors, and Creative Director and applies a service-oriented approach in meeting departmental requests.
- Write, edit, proof-read, format and distribute content for internal and external audiences. Vehicles include documents, website, social media, email campaigns and printed pieces
- Make an ongoing contribution to communications strategy and decision-making. Consult with leaders and other staff on communications alignment and appropriate sequencing.
- Manage processes and relationships to maintain and continuously improve communication. Maintain weekly content planning documents (Google Sheets).
- Participate on the teams that plan and administrate Sunday services.
- Coordinate with the Creative Director and external designers to produce artwork for all communication vehicles as needed. Contribute to graphic design needs.
- Coordinate with administrative assistants and volunteers as needed.
- Create slides for projection.
- Prepare sermon slides (ProPresenter)
- Manage content in ExpressionEngine.
- Manage relationship with web development partner.
- Troubleshoot outages, bugs, user issues.
- Manage content for mobile app.
- Manage content for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Vimeo accounts
- Strategize and collaborate with with Sunday team, Creative Director and others.
- Write and/or edit content. Create and follow weekly content calendar.
- Design artwork as needed and/or coordinate with external designers.
- Implement two branded, church-wide email campaigns on a weekly basis.
- Implement departmental email campaigns on a monthly or quarterly basis.
- Coordinate design work for printed pieces.
- Translate departmental and executive requests into clear requirements for designers.
- Write and edit content.
- Design or format Sunday handouts on an occasional basis.
- Support the Creative Director and volunteers on video and photography shoots (camera, audio, interviewer, other crew roles)
- Video editing
- A Bachelor's degree in marketing, journalism, communications, public relations, English or related area is preferred.
- Three or more years experience in an institutional setting building a dynamic online and social media presence
- Excellent writing and editing skills; knowledge of AP Style
- Strong artistic sense and attention to detail
- The ability to manage multiple projects and work independently using project management tools such as Basecamp and Asana
- Training and experience in graphic design is a plus
- Training and experience in photography and videography including video editing
- Proficient in Photoshop and InDesign, Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere, basic HTML, Microsoft Office and Google Apps
- Knowledge of existing and emerging digital media best practices
- Experience in monitoring, interpreting and presenting analytics
- Experience as a team player
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and résumé with references to Jim Mozingo (email@example.com). You may also view this ad on the Covenant Life Church website.