Director of Children and Family Ministries
Job type: Full-time
Category: Children's Ministry
Location: Harrisonburg, VA Post Date: July 06, 2017
TITLE: Director of Children and Family Ministries
PURPOSE: The Director of Children and Family
Ministries will lead the vital andstrategic Children's Ministries Team as it strives to fulfill its mission,goals, and duties of evangelizing and discipling children (birth – 5thgrade) and empowering families to love and serve Jesus. The person in this position will develop,recruit & equip, coordinate and oversee the children and family ministries ofthe church.
QUALIFICATIONS: The Director of Children and Family Ministriesmust have a personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior andLord, a love for children and their maturing in faith, as well as, a heart toequip parents in their role as spiritual leaders to their kids. It ispreferable that they have a Bachelor's degree in education or a relevant field.Additionally, it will be helpful if a candidate has a minimum of three years'experience working with children, along with developing leaders andadministering programs. This person must also believe in the authority of theBible, regularly spend time studying God's Word, and faithfully attend worship.This is an individual who seeks to honor Christ in all relationships andmaintains a lifestyle which is consistent with Scripture and the EssentialTenets of ECO.
This person must have excellent interpersonal skills, teaching gifts, experience recruiting and developing volunteers, and the ability to lead a vibrant growing children and family ministries. The ability to maintain and oversee the budget for the Children's Ministry Team Committee is also needed.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Affirmation and support of the mission and values of First Presbyterian Church
- Passion for evangelizing and discipling children, as well as, resourcing parents
- Ability to relate well with people of all ages
- Clear understanding of Biblical truth
- Ability to cast a clear and compelling vision and communicate it effectively
- Ability to lead by enlisting, equipping, encouraging, and entrusting a growing group of volunteers
- Self-directed, teachable spirit, positive attitude, flexibility, and sense of humor
- Ability to encourage creativity and risk taking; develops new ideas and programs
- Pursues learning, growth, and new models of ministry
- Ability to build teams and foster a spirit of team work throughout all areas of the
- Ability to plan ahead, is well-organized, and detail-oriented
- Proficiency using computers, Microsoft Office, internet, and social media
- Skills in written and verbal communication
RESPONSIBILITIES - In collaboration with the Children's Ministry Team:
1. Develops and implements ways to involve children, and further enhance children's timespent, in Sunday morning worship services.
2. Leads the children's evangelism and discipleship programs (currently Sunday Schooland Mid-Week J.A.M Jr., J.A.M., & 45 Club) by actively recruiting, developing,resourcing and encouraging leaders & teachers, guiding curriculumselection, ordering materials and curriculum, along with, promoting the programswithin and beyond the church.
3. Collaborates with the Adult Discipleship Ministry Team and Youth Committee regarding allevangelism and discipleship programming to ensure consistency and scheduling.
4. Recruits, determines curriculum, and oversees Children's Church program.
5. Recruits and provides leadership and oversight for the Nursery program (including paidand volunteer staff).
6. Collaborates with Associate Pastor for Youth to develop an effective strategy oftransitioning 5th grade students into First Pres' Middle Schoolministry.
7. Works with Coordinators to lead an effective summer outreach program (Summer JAMCamp, VBS).
8. Regularly evaluates all children's programs and ministries with volunteers, leaders, andthe Children's Ministry Team to ensure effectiveness, vitality, growth,outreach, and life change.
9. Intentionally looks for new ministry opportunities or programs which might enhance FirstPres' Children and Family Ministries.
10. Develops, organizes, and leads effective ways to equip and encourage parents to discipletheir children.
11. Plans, leads, and participates in opportunities for children and for families to doservice projects and mission trips.
12. Plans special events for children and families during Advent, Lent, and other seasons.
13. Oversees children's benevolence giving.
14. Teaches the Preparation for Worship Class (2nd-5th graders &their parents exploring the different elements of worship, including baptismand the Lord's Supper).
15. Makes sure that all volunteers and paid staff working with children comply with thechurch's Child Protection Policy by having a background check and taking therequired Child Safety Training.
16. Attends staff meetings and actively collaborates and participates with other churchstaff and leaders.
17. Pursues possibilities of partnering with other church children's ministries to providequality retreat, camp, and/or special events for 4th & 5th grade students to grow in their faith
How to apply
If you believe you have the calling, qualifications, and passion for this position, please send your resume to Rev. Scott Thayer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.