Director of Christian Education for Children, Youth and Families
Job type: Full-time
Category: Children's Ministry
Location: Columbia, SC Post Date: July 20, 2017
The Director of Christian Education for Children, Youth and Families at Spring Valley Presbyterian Church provides leadership and direction for a quality program of Christian nurture and education for children, youth and their families.
Spring Valley Presbyterian Church – a PC(USA) congregation – is a community of sinners saved by the grace of God through Jesus Christ and inspired by the Holy Spirit. We seek to glorify God, nurture one another and express the love of God in word and deed. Spring Valley is the founding church of the Souper Bowl of Caring effort and is the home of a vibrant youth program that is the heart of the church's local/national/international mission program.
We greatly value the inclusive nature of our Children, Youth and Families program, which serves children and youth from a diverse array of personal and family backgrounds. The ideal candidate for this position will share those values and bring a heart full of love for all of God's children.
ABOUT THE POSITION
- Direct the Youth Council and assist with youth self-leadership.
- Lead and implement creative, dynamic programs that reach out to youth – within the church and our community – that focus on discipleship and fellowship.
- Recruit, train and equip adult volunteers for ongoing youth activities and programs.
- Provide guidance and training for youth advisers.
- Develop creative ways for youth to participate in the life of the church.
- Plan summer mission activities both in the community and elsewhere, including international opportunities.
- Assist Sunday School teachers in providing spiritual, creative, ambitious and fun programs for children, with a focus on spiritual development.
- Recruit, train and equip adult volunteers for ongoing programmatic ministries, such as Strikers (3rd-5th grades), Children's Church, Worship Preparation and Vacation Bible School.
- Participate in the planning and leadership of special Sunday events, such as Celebration Sunday, Advent Festival, Celebration of Children Sunday, Holy Week, etc.
- Supervise the Nursery Coordinator.
The ideal candidate will have a deep and living relationship with Jesus Christ, a call to minister to youth, gifts in leadership and vision and a bachelor's degree (preferably in youth ministry, religious studies or related field). Two years of youth ministry experience preferred, but not mandatory for the right candidate. Salary is commensurate with experience.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to send a cover letter and resume to the Rev. Ruth Roberts at [email protected] by August 31, 2017.