Director of Music & Worship
Job type: Part-time
Category: Worship Ministry
Location: Hamilton (Greater Grand Rapids Area), MI Post Date: August 21, 2017
Bentheim Reformed Church is seeking a part-time Director of Music & Worship. This is a new position that will lead the BRC Worship Arts Ministry into its next season of ministry. The ideal candidate will possess (1) a heart that loves God, loves His people, and is willing to meet the church where they are; (2) biblical, theological, and musical skills to lead BRC into gospel-driven, Christ-centered, bible-saturated worship; and (3) leadership skills to plan, coordinate, communicate, recruit, and resolve conflict among a team of staff and volunteer leaders.
BRC is a church deeply committed to the gospel of Jesus, the Word of God, and the mission to make disciples. BRC is a growing church, largely comprised of young families, and has an average Sunday attendance of 250-300. Bentheim is a rural part of the larger community of Hamilton, located southwest of Grand Rapids, MI, and about 15 minutes southeast of Holland, MI.
The Director of Music & Worship is a part-time position. Salary based upon 15-20 hours per week, $15-20 per hour. Pay commensurate upon education and experience.
For more information about Bentheim Reformed Church and our Worship Arts Ministry, see the following links:
- Video: What is the Role of a Worship Leader? - https://vimeo.com/bentheim
- Sermons: What is Worship? - http://www.sermoncloud.com/bentheim-reformed-churc... & http://www.sermoncloud.com/bentheim-reformed-churc...
- Website: http://www.bentheim.org
In partnership with the Lead Pastor, the Director of Music & Worship plans, coordinates, and directs worship services; identifies and equips other worship leaders; and cultivates a healthy worship team culture marked by humble excellence, relational connection, and personal discipleship.
Worship is the heart's response to truth about God, particularly who He is and what He has done. All worship leaders at BRC seek to equip the mind with truth about God, and enable the heart to respond to God in worship.
15-20 hours per week
The Director of Music & Worship reports directly to the Lead Pastor, who himself reports to the Consistory. All staff are evaluated and reviewed by the Executive Committee of Consistory. The Worship Arts Ministry is overseen by the Worship Committee.
- Have a growing relationship with Jesus Christ and agree with the BRC statement of faith
- Actively support the mission and vision of BRC
- Passionate about building and functioning within a team
- Possess strong organization and communication skills
- Possess strong computing skills: word-processing, email, Google Drive, basic office software
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Passionate about experiencing personal and corporate worship based upon the definition of worship provided above
- Possess a love for an intergenerational church and the best of the Church's music: including old and new, traditional and contemporary
- Has a teachable spirit and is willing to train and equip others for their own development as worship ministry volunteers
- Proficient in at least one leading musical instrument (Guitar/Piano) and able to lead congregational singing
- Understand or can be trained to use industry standard software such as Planning Center Online, ProPresenter, Powerpoint
- Understand and able to interact with other leaders regarding A/V equipment such as soundboards, monitors, and video projection technology
- Education: Possess training and competence in music and theological understanding. College-level training in bible, theology, or music desirable, but not required.
Worship Service Planning & Directing
Includes such items as:
- In partnership with the Lead Pastor, plan Sunday AM and occasional special worship services; create weekly order of worship
- In partnership with the Lead Pastor, plan, lead, or participate in the Sunday PM service upon request
- Oversee schedule of music teams and leaders for weekly worship, communicating effectively through email and/or other forms of communication on a weekly basis
- Supply music, schedule rehearsal, and lead rehearsal for all weekly music teams, involving both praise band and organ/piano team members
- In partnership with the Lead Pastor, provide on-stage leadership for worship services
- Ensure effective communication with all who will take part in worship services
Worship Arts Ministry Team Development
Includes such items as:
- In partnership with the Lead Pastor, provide encouragement, vision, and direction to worship ministry volunteers
- In partnership with the Lead Pastor, cultivate a worship ministry marked by technical proficiency, musical excellence, artistic sensitivity, and spiritual vitality
- In partnership with the Lead Pastor, lead the Worship Committee
- Lead times of biblical reflection and prayer during worship rehearsals
- Identify, recruit, and develop other worship volunteers
- In consultation with the Lead Pastor and Worship Committee, provide periodic training for musicians and technical volunteers
- In partnership with the Lead Pastor and Worship Committee, establish yearly goals for Worship Arts Ministry
Includes such items as:
- Participate in the life of Bentheim Reformed Church
- Participate as a team member in the BRC Staff, attending staff meetings and participating in staff projects
- Establish yearly personal goals
- Opportunities for growth through conferences and training sessions are available
- Opportunity for growth via coaching from a seasoned local Worship Director is available
How to apply
Applicants please send information to BRCapplicants@gmail.com.
Please include: (1) resume, (2) audio/video sample (if possible), and (3) response to the question below.
In one paragraph: What is your vision for worship in the local church?