Director of Preaching and Head of Staff
Job type: Full-time
Category: Senior/Lead Pastor
Location: Warner Robins, GA Post Date: May 12, 2017
Sojourn Church was planted in Warner Robins, GA in 2011, and we are a part of the Acts 29 Church Planting Network. Sojourn has approximately 130 members and averages about 200 people on Sundays (including children).
The two main focuses of ministry at Sojourn are the Sunday gathering and community groups. We have a 24/7 office space with a room that can host events of up to 30 people. On Sunday mornings, we rent the Galleria Movie Theater. Other current ministries include a youth ministry, a women's events ministry, and a men's breakfast.
Sojourn is an elder led church. We currently have four elders, three full-time staff, and one part time staff. Our current staff titles include a Worship Director/Media Director, Director of Counseling Center, Youth Director/Executive Assistant, and a part-time Children's Ministry Director.
- Our mission is to see the Gospel transform everything around us – ourselves, our families, our church, our city, and the world
- Core Values
- Spiritual Vitality
- We desire to know God intimately, worship him truly, and trust him fully. We want to glorify God by enjoying Him as our greatest treasure. (Psalm 63; Mt. 13:44; John 15:5; Phil.3:7-11)
- Gospel Centrality
- We are committed to keeping the main thing the main thing. The Gospel, which is the main thing, is the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. We never want to assume the gospel, but desire to teach it clearly and constantly. (Rom.1:16; 1 Cor. 15:3-4)
- Authentic Community
- God intends that we live in authentic and intentional community. We desire to be real, take off our masks, and genuinely know and care for each other. As a family, we rejoice and mourn together. (Pr. 18:24; Rom. 12:15; Hebr. 3:13, 10:24-25; 1 John 1:7)
- Missional Intentionality
- We believe every Christian is a missionary, so we want to encourage and equip every believer to be a light where they live, work, and play. We want to build a church culture that is outward focused rather than simply trying to keep each other happy. (Mt. 9:37-38, 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; 1 Pt. 2:9-10)
- Sacrificial Love
- We want to love God and love people. No matter what we do, we are nothing without love. (Mt. 22:34-40; John 15:12-13; 1 Cor. 13:1-3)
- Spiritual Vitality
The following summary is not meant to be comprehensive, but is designed to provide candidates an overview of what the Director of Preaching and Head of Staff position entails.
- Mission and Vision
- Lead in casting vision with the elders to the staff and congregation.
- Lead in championing and protecting the mission, vision, core values, and culture of the church.
- Preaching and Teaching
- Faithfully preach and teach the whole counsel of God's word, with an emphasis on the Gospel.
- Oversee preaching calendar and develop sermon series.
- Identify training and development for aspiring preachers and church planters.
- Teach and oversee the teaching schedule for discipleship classes
- Shepherding and Leader Development
- Oversee and lead in the development of the staff team and assist in the development and growth of the elder team.
- Lead in the finances and administrative needs of the church in collaboration with the Treasurer and Elder Board.
- Oversee the discipleship culture through Sunday Gatherings, Community Groups, and other discipleship pipelines.
- Personally model discipleship both inside and outside of the church (i.e. discipling men, resourcing leaders, sharing the Gospel with neighbors, etc)
- Lead the Staff
- Direct Reports: Worship Director/Media Director, Director of Counseling Center, Youth Director/Executive Assistant, Children's Ministry Director
- Schedule and lead staff meetings.
- Lead in developing and maintaining a healthy staff culture.
- Pastor/Elder ResponsibilitiesThe Director of Preaching will be head of the staff team and be a member of the elder team.
- Pray for the church.
- Counsel according to your gifting and ability.
- Attend elder meetings.
- Guard the doctrine and teaching of the church.
- Lead the church in accordance with the mission, vision, and core values.
- Must agree with and passionately subscribe to the statement of beliefs in the membership covenant.
- Must be willing to pursue assessment or already be assessed by Acts 29.
- Must be qualified to be an elder according to 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1 (see Article XI of the Sojourn Bylaws).
- A minimum of a bachelor's degree.
How to apply
Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover Letter introducing yourself and sharing your personal testimony of faith
- Links to sample sermons and teachings and written or published material/blogs