Director of Student Ministries - Crown Point Campus
Job type: Full-time
Category: High School/College Ministry
Location: Crown Point, IN Post Date: May 19, 2017
Bethel Church is currently seeking a Director of Student Ministries for our Crown Point Campus. This person will work alongside our Pastor of Student Ministries in a position focused on reaching and developing students grades six through twelve so that they become more like Christ. The Student Ministry (called Verge) currently averages over 300 students each week at our Crown Point location. Visit the Verge web site to get a sense of how God is working through this dynamic ministry: www.welcometoverge.com
Bethel is a growing, nondenominational, evangelical church that is striving to exalt Jesus Christ through expository preaching, God-saturated worship, loving community, and gospel outreach. We are 45 minutes south of downtown Chicago in Northwest Indiana. Our four campuses average 3200 people each weekend across eight services. Visit www.bethelweb.org for more information about the church.
1. Ministering to Students
- Teach students age appropriate and practical lessons from the Bible in keeping with Bethel's emphasis on Christ being at the center of Scripture.
- Help to develop and implement strategic and creative student ministry programming that furthers the discipleship aims of the church and the student ministry.
- Model and lead students to actively engage their culture and minister the gospel through personal relationships and outreach endeavors.
- Pray regularly for the volunteers and students of the student ministry.
- Personally build relationships with students and create discipleship efforts.
- Actively participate in a team that plans, administrates, and leads all trips, activities, and retreats.
- Counsel individual students in various life/faith issues, including; relationships, spirituality, rebellion, family, drugs, sexuality, depression, guidance, etc.
- Develop student leaders among faithful and interested teens so they are prepared for vocational and lay positions in a local church.
2. Ministering with Youth Leaders
- Recruit qualified students ministry leaders to fill needed ministry roles in mentoring, discipleship, administration, and support.
- Train and equip the leadership staff for their various roles in view of their personal abilities and the ministry's needs.
- Communicate programming direction and activity information to youth staff in an organized and timely manner.
- Collaborate with the leadership staff to regularly evaluate Bethel's student ministry for the purposes of encouragement and improvement.
- Inspire leaders to reach their potential, and also provide accountability for their student ministry commitments.
3. Ministering to Parents
- Communicate with parents on the direction and details of Bethel's student ministry philosophy. Inform them of ministry programming, structure, and events.
- Recruit parents to be involved in the ministry in keeping with their gifts and the ministry's needs.
- Listen to parents share their suggestions for how the student ministry could provide further assistance to their family.
- Provide counseling, support, training, and encouragement for parents as they raise their teenage children.
4. Ministering with Bethel
- Work in harmony and under the direction of the Pastor of Student Ministries and Bethel's philosophy of ministry.
- Demonstrate stewardship of budgets.
- Collaborate with other Bethel pastors and ministry leaders for the purpose of sharpening existing efforts and beginning new ones.
- Communicate with the congregation via website, social media, flyers, and announcements.
- Participate in weekend services (by giving announcements, prayers, etc.).
- Participate in staff meetings, training events, etc.
- Other responsibilities may be added as new ministry needs arise and personal gifting develops.
How to apply
- A committed believer in Jesus Christ who meets the qualifications of elder as prescribed in 1 Tim. 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9. He must be a stable, mature, and growing Christian with an exemplary personal, marital, and family life (if applicable).
- A team player with a positive attitude, a spirit of love, and a willingness to roll up his sleeves and serve.
- Possesses; 1) spiritual gifts relevant to leadership of this ministry; 2) prior ministry experience with students and families, 3) God's affirming blessing from previous ministry efforts, and 4) a deep, genuine love for students and families.
- Has an adequate education (preferably at the college level) and a continuous desire to learn and become a more effective leader of students and families.
- Has a sound knowledge of Scripture and the ability to effectively teach and apply Scriptural principles in all areas of ministry.
- A leader of leaders. Has the ability to effectively equip, manage, and encourage teams of people.
- Relational, outgoing, and very good with people.
- Self-motivated and able to take a task or project through to completion.
- Proficient at multitasking, time management, and prioritizing.
- A proven ability to handle sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality.
- Be committed to personal growth. He should embody a posture of learning and exhibit a hunger to always be growing spiritually, emotionally, and professionally.
- Committed to teamwork within the student ministries department, and also with other staff and lay leaders of the church. He should show a commitment to the strategic vision of Bethel's student ministry.
- In agreement with Bethel Church's doctrine and philosophy of ministry.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to email their information to Brad Lagos (firstname.lastname@example.org).