Job type: Full-time
Location: New Orleans, LA Post Date: June 01, 2017
St Peter's Presbyterian Church, based in the Mid-City neighborhood of New Orleans, announces an upcoming vacancy for a pastoral intern beginning in late summer/early autumn 2017. The ideal candidate for this position will be a committed believer in the divinity and sovereignty of Jesus Christ, possessing both a heart for pastoral ministry and care, and a passion for the nurture and growth of the individual, the family, the neighborhood, and the city.
The main duties of this intern include:
- assisting the senior pastor with weekly worship;
- undertaking occasional preaching and regular leading of Bible studies and prayer meetings;
- maintaining daily spiritual disciplines, including Scripture reading, prayer, and reflection;
- pursuing pastoral care of parishioners in the congregation;
- performing administrative and outreach tasks involving church functions and lay ministries;
- participating in regular meetings with pastoral staff and the church leadership team; and
- engaging in any other efforts that promote the growth of the church and the well-being of its members, as needed and as they arise.
In general, the average work-week will not exceed 40 hours, though such ministry will not alwaysfollow a 9-5 Monday-Friday model. Apart from the skills required of any pastor-in-training—firstand foremost a deep love for Christ and for fellow man, and a core knowledge of Biblical historyand theology—other professional skills required include excellent communication, reliability,dependability, and some technological literacy (for maintaining websites and other media).
Compensation for this position will be competitive, and commensurate with an entry-level positionfor a recent seminary graduate. Start date for the position is somewhat negotiable, but the candidateshould expect to start no earlier than July 2017, and no later than September-October 2017. St.Peter's welcomes applications from candidates of all backgrounds, ethnicities, geographies, anddenominations.
How to apply
To apply, please contact Pastor Shane Gibson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates should submit a cover letter (1-2pp.) describing their interest in the position and their qualifications, as well as a brief testimony of their faith in Christ. A current CV, including 2-3 references, is also required. Applications will be received until the position is filled.