Web Developer Team Lead
Job type: Full-time
Location: Streamwood, IL Post Date: December 04, 2017
Awana is a global, nonprofit ministry committed to the belief that the greatest impact for Christ starts with kids who know, love and serve Him. The transformative power of the gospel is shared every week through Awana ministries that reach more than three and a half million kids in more than 115 countries. Providing resources and expertise, Awana empowers more than 45,000 churches and mobilizes more than 450,000 leaders to reach kids through evangelism and long-term discipleship.We are seeking a Web Developer Team Lead to join the Technology team. The Web Development Team Lead is responsible for hands-on, leading-from-the-front management of the Awana Web Development team. The Web Dev team handles development projects and requests for changes to the Awana website, eCommerce store, and suite of web-based apps. The Team Lead is expected to produce codea long with the team in addition to providing technical solutions,training/guidance, code review, and overall leadership for the team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESinclude the following. Other duties may be assigned.1. Manages, guides, and leads the Awana Web Development team at a standard reflective ofAwana's heart for mission and customer satisfaction.
2. Exercises independent judgment and discretion in web development deliverables byprioritizing, planning, and tracking progress.
3. Manages and directs a team of direct reports as assigned. Evaluates employeeperformance, sets expectations and goals for department and individual staffmembers, recruits, disciplines and trains staff. Meets regularly with supervised staff to review status of assigned tasks, solve problems, and discuss progress towards the achievement of team and department goals
4. Owns and drives Web Development team delivery and productivity, including working toremove blocks/impediments, and continuously looks for opportunities to increaseproductivity and foster an environment of consistency and adherence to commitment
5. Provides technical leadership for the Web Development team, including architectural/technicalsolutions, code review, scoping/estimation of proposed projects, training and development of the team, and management of code releases.
6. Crafts coding standards and enforces adherence to the same
7. Owns release management across the higher environments, and communication of releasenotes
8. Personally writes and develops code for web development tasks and tickets on a regularbasis
9. Acts as the subject matter expert on the intersection of culture and technology forAwana. Provides thought leadership and direction in the area of using technology as an outreach tool.
10. Maintains current technical expertise in the rapidly changing software industry andutilizes state of the art techniques when implementing solutions.
11. Positions the Technology department as a ministry thought leader and reliable internalpartner.
12. Actively responds to communications from customers and constituents.
13. Participates in team and departmental meetings, periodic reviews of other team members' work, team brainstorming and professional development sessions and annual individual goalsetting process.
Skills, Knowledge and AbilitiesLanguage Skills:Ability to read and speak English is required. Ability toread, analyze, and interpret various business and technical documents. Effective communication skills and strongtime management skills. Project management skills a huge plus.
Reasoning Ability:Excellent problem solving skills and logical thinking required for many programming tasks. Ability to interpret a variety ofinstructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to make decisions within the scope of authority, and to make quick decisions in emergency situations.
Other Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:Must have experience working on large scale Technology projects and development teams of atleast 3-5 people. Good communication and interpersonal skills. Team orientation and ability to multi-task, shift gearsquickly, work independently and collaboratively. Ability to meet deadlineswhile paying attention to details. Delegation is a key skill for this position. Physical DemandsWhile performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk orhear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee isoccasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and to kneel, crawl, stoop, or lie down to work with cabling in tight spaces. Specific vision abilities required by thisjob include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work EnvironmentWhile performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to movingmechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Must be willing to travel on occasion if needed
PRIMARY INTERFACESInternal: Reports to the Director of Process & Delivery. Web Development team reports to this position. Frequent interaction with other members of theTechnology department (especially BA, QA, and IT). Regular interaction with Product Owners, Stakeholders, and other internal customers.External: As needed.
This job description reflects the current assignment of essential functions, and is notmeant to be all-inclusive. Duties andresponsibilities may be assigned or reassigned to this job at any time, and maybe modified to reasonably accommodate an individual with a disability, or forother reasons.
How to apply