Job type: Part-time
Category: Worship Ministry
Location: Fort Collins, CO Post Date: September 05, 2017
St. Thomas is seeking a part-time musical worship leader who is a gifted musician, worship leader, and team leader. We're seeking to create (by God's grace and the power of the Holy Spirit) a worship experience, where worshippers are drawn in and become active participants in worship. We use both praise songs and hymns. We are a liturgical, Bible based church that values creativity and the arts (of all kinds) and seeks to nourish the faithful while also reaching out to a hurting world. Our congregation is comprised of about a hundred souls (many of whom are accomplished musicians).
- Previous experience leading worship both as part of a worship team and independently.
- Skilled musician with a heart for worship who can facilitate worship. We are more interested in congregational singing and participation than in having songs led from up front that border on performance (and observation by the congregation).
- Ability to lead traditional hymns, modern hymns, and contemporary praise songs (as well as appreciation for these multiple genres).
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with volunteers and develop volunteers into a team.
- Ability to lead worship - independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to disciple others in the context of music ministries.
- Deep understanding of the Gospel and how it speaks to our everyday lives.
- Compassion for those who are unchurched.
- A resonance with the values and mission of St. Thomas (see last page of job posting for St. Thomas values).
- Ability to cooperate with the staff team.
- Familiarity with liturgical worship or a willingness to learn about liturgical worship.
- Ability to extend and receive forgiveness - with other staff members, the worship team, and members of the congregation.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Be the main worship leader.
- Facilitate musical worship on Sundays by:
- Leading worship, either solo or as part of a team.
- Coordinating other worship leaders to lead (not more than once a month).
- Help the congregation (some who have extensive church experience and some who don't) more fully enter into worship.
- Participate in the life of the congregation:
- Be part of Life Together (St. Thomas' version of small groups).
- Actively seek out visitors and people on the margins on Sunday mornings.
- Be a part of the congregation and not just "a hired gun."
- Select songs in conjunction with the pastor.
- Provide song lyrics in the correct order for bulletins and/or powerpoint.
- Setup sound system on Sunday mornings or coordinate a team for setup and take down.
- Participate in Staff Meetings.
- Keep short accounts with staff, worship team, and congregants.
PREFERRED ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide simple singing lessons to members of the congregation as part of the membership process.
- Identify, recruit and equip new worship leaders (for St. Thomas or future church plants).
Additional Desired Traits:
- Generosity of spirit:
- Towards others who may not be as far along spiritually
- Towards those on the margins of the church and society
- Towards other churches who do not have the same philosophy of ministry/worship that we do
- Welcoming - our ideal candidate will be an ambassador for The Kingdom and for St. Thomas.
- Faithfulness - a general posture of submission to God's ways as revealed in Scripture. When it's realized that a course correction is needed, it is undertaken with God's help.
- Teachability - it is common to observe our ideal candidate regularly learning from God and from others.
- Servanthood - willingness to do unglamorous tasks.
- Availability - an ability to fulfill this role without burning out or sacrificing care for self or family.
Compensation and Time Commitment:
Approximately 10-12 hours/week. Compensation based on experience and skills. Hours per week and compensation has room to grow over time. Four weeks (and four Sundays) of vacation per year.
Please submit a resume and brief cover letter/email of introduction to josh@SaintT.org
Interview, guest worship leading on a Sunday, background check, reference check. Position open until filled. As we screen applicants we are looking for character, competency, and chemistry (with the pastor and congregation).
How to apply
Job Description and application instructions can be found on our homepage: www.saintt.org