About this role
Northwest Bible Church is seeking an experienced Controller to manage the Accounting and Information Technology departments with an overall focus on Accounting, Risk Management and the Defined Benefit Plan, coupled with the ability to communicate at an advanced level with Elders, the Finance Committee, and the Executive Pastor.
CapinCrouse, a full-service CPA firm devoted to serving faith-based nonprofit clients, is pleased to be assisting Northwest Bible Church in their search for a Controller and a Lead Accountant.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Manage the Lead Accountant and Accountant positions
- Develop and plan department objectives including short and long-term accounting projects to improve budgeting and accounting processes and systems.
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department's goals and objectives.
- Upgrade and maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Assist and direct the selection and training of departmental personnel, performance reviews, merit increase recommendations, promotions, and disciplinary actions.
- Lead and/or attend a variety of meetings with Elders, Finance Committee and Pastoral staff to review and discuss accounting and financial matters and systems.
Reporting and Control
- Direct and perform financial accounting functions to ensure timely and accurate reporting of financial information including all standard financial statements.
- Assume overall responsibility for the accuracy of financial reporting as well as payroll, accounts payable and receivable, cash accounting, program and donor accounting, and fixed assets accounting.
- Coordinate the preparation for and the completion of the annual audit including preparation of financial statements, notes, and supporting documentation.
- Develop and monitor processes and procedures to ensure internal financial controls are in place to safeguard the assets of the Church.
- Develop and report financial and operating metrics to assess effectiveness of operations.
- Perform accounting and tax research when necessary.
- Plan and drive the annual budget process with significant support from the Lead Accountant.
- Provide financial analyses as needed for reporting and planning purposes.
- Assure integrity of the accounting software systems is maintained.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure compliance with regulatory agencies
- Oversee compliance with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings, particularly with payroll tax reporting requirements
- Coordinate signature authorities for all bank accounts
- Review third-party contracts to assess the financial impact of any proposed agreements
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Accounting degree or MBA (or equivalent business experience)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) highly desired
- 10+ years in a major company or large nonprofit, with progressively increasing responsibilities.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) as well as an ability and willingness to learn new products as may be required.
KNOWLEDGE SKILL AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Character and Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments; maintains strict confidentiality.
- Analytical Skills - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures; demonstrates attention to details.
- Organization Skills – ability to multitask while maintaining a keen attention to details
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens well and gets clarification when needed; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; demonstrates ability to read and interpret written information. Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit and group morale; puts success of team above own interests; shows ability to build group commitment to goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to succeed; recognizes accomplishments of all team members; possesses strong work ethic.
How to apply
Send an email wiht your resume to [email protected] Be sure to mention that you found this position at TGC. Thank you!Back to results