About this role
The Act (Advocates for Community Transformation) Summer Legal Internship Program offers students the opportunity to learn first-hand about the intersection of faith, law, and Biblical justice by active and meaningful participation in Act’s work.
Act is a rapidly growing non-profit justice organization offering a new model of ministry that uses the legal system to empower inner-city residents to fight crime on their streets while sharing with them the hope of the gospel. Act’s vision is to see safe neighborhoods, where crime is no longer tolerated and dignity and hope are restored. Act currently serves multiple neighborhoods in Dallas, TX and is positioned for expansion. The organization operates as a 501c3 with 30+ full-time employees and a $4 million annual budget.
Act is seeking exceptional law students who are humble, smart, tenacious, energetic, organized, and flexible. They will use their skills, experience and creativity to add significant value to Act’s various departments. The Legal Intern will use his or her skills, experience and creativity to assist the Legal Operations Department in the following areas:
- Request, analyze and summarize open records data related to crime properties and abandoned homes
- Develop case strategy based on open records data and present recommendations to Field Operations Team
- Participate in neighborhood safety canvassing
- Educate community members concerning legal rights regarding estate planning and property rights
- Research and summarize relevant legal matters
- Organize and support community will clinics
- Gain casework and litigation experience
The Legal Intern must possess a growing relationship with Jesus Christ and an understanding and passion for social justice. The work requires a servant-leader who possesses a teachable spirit, strong interpersonal, cross-cultural and administrative skills and exhibits initiative and tenacity.
The Act summer internship program also offers interns the opportunity at a discounted rate to participate in the Praxis Academy (July 29th -August 2nd) - A week-long intensive that seeks to inspire the next generation of redemptive innovators and entrepreneurs.
Education and Experience:
- Rising second or third year at an accredited law school
- Interest in civil litigation and civil rights
- In-depth knowledge of Westlaw and/or Lexis
- Application Closes: February 28th
- Interviews: March 9th - March 20th
- Internship: May 26th - August 7th
- Hours: ~30 hrs/week
- Pay: $12/hr
How to apply
Please complete the online application. You will need to include your cover letter (indicating which of the areas listed above would be of most interest to you), resume, references, and statement of faith*. If you have questions please email [email protected].
*Statement of Faith: A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how it is relevant to your involvement with Act. It should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current place of worship.Back to results